"Susan’s years of experience as a teacher, parent, community leader and former school board member and president, make her highly qualified to represent the families of the Ann Arbor School District. Her interest in making decisions that are data driven, well-informed and collaborative is needed to help the Ann Arbor School Board find solutions to move our district forward."
- Dr. Matt and Rev. Elizabeth Friedman, Parents, Bach Elementary
ARTICLE LINKS & MEDIA
Susan’s Leadership on Literacy Legislation
• Dyslexia Bills Pass in the Michigan Senate with Bipartisan Support
• Watch Susan and her students testify in support of the bills in the Michigan senate in the clips below. Learn more about the bills at www.MIDyslexiaLaws.com
• Opinion: Legislature must quickly pass laws to support kids with dyslexia by Heather Eckner, Brian Love, & Susan Ward Schmidt, March 4th, 2022.
• Michigan Schools Missing Signs of Students’ Dyslexia, Lily Altavena, Detroit Free Press, April 25th, 2022
Scarlett Middle School’s Make a Difference Club Collects 2090 Books for Preschoolers
Susan’s Thank You Healthcare Workers Campaign
• Ann Arbor woman gets ‘amazing’ response to yard signs thanking health care workers, MLive Mar. 25, 2020
WXYZ Detroit’s Caroline Clifford on Susan’s pandemic-inspired gesture of thanks to Ann Arbor’s healthcare workers that spread much-needed encouragement during difficult times and attracted pay-it-forward donations for those in need during lockdown.
Awards & Community Involvement
- International Dyslexia Association-Michigan Chapter, Board Member (Current)
- Member – The Reading League-Michigan (Current)
- MEA Retired (2019 – Present)
- Washtenaw Literacy – County Jail Tutor (2019)
- Sierra Club, Huron Valley Group – Member (2015-present)
- Board Member – Reach Out and Read (2010 – 2014)
- Finalist, Governor’s Lifetime Achievement Community Service Award (2011)
- East Lansing Rotary Member (2009-13)
- Distinguished Community Service Award, East Lansing Ed Foundation (2005)
- City of East Lansing Crystal Award for Community Volunteerism (2007)
- Recycle! East Lansing – Co-coordinator (1996-2014)
- East Lansing Athletic Boosters – Member, Vice President (2005-06)
- East Lansing School Board – Member, President (1999-2003)
- East Lansing Recreation and Arts Board – Member, President (1998-1999)
- MEA member, Building Rep. at Reo Elementary & Scarlett Middle School (1995-2019)
- NEA local member in Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin (1979 – 1987)
Testimony in Michigan Senate About Literacy
Susan’s Student’s Testimony
Meet My Family
My husband, Tom, is a professor at University of Michigan, conducting research on the human microbiome. My sons Alex and Erik, who attended public schools, are both 2012 U of M graduates. Erik is on the coaching staff of the Memphis Grizzlies and Alex, a mathematician, works in a research lab at U of M.